Unit 1: Fire Safety Principles
1. Understand the hazards and risks associated with fire in the workplace
- Explain how fires are caused in the workplace
- Describe the components of the fire triangle.
- Identify the hazards during or after a fire, including the products of combustion.
- Describe the characteristics of fire and smoke spread.
2. Understand the principles and practice of fire safety management at work
- Understand the principles and practice of fire safety management at work
- Outline how to undertake a simple fire safety inspection in the workplace.
- Describe the stages involved in a fire risk assessment.
3. Understand how fire risk is controlled in the workplace
- State the different methods used to identify and control fire hazards.
- Define the term ‘means of escape’ in relation to fire hazards.
- Outline typical components for means of escape from fire hazards.
- Describe methods of fire detection and raising the alarm.
- Describe the principle of how fires are extinguished.
- Describe how portable fire-fighting equipment should be used safely.
- Identify common fixed fire-fighting systems and where they might be used.
4. Understand the role of the nominated fire warden
- State the role and function of fire wardens in their workplace:
- on a day-to-day basis
- during an emergency
- if they are not in their designated areas of responsibility when the alarm is raised.